EditJenney Journal, part 1

Jenney’s migraines started on Feb 10th while we were in San Diego visiting her mom. We had planned on taking the kids to Disney while we were there but Jenney could barely leave her bed, much less the house. She had vomited a couple times as well. The migraines came anywhere from 15 to 50 minutes at a time, lasted 5 to 10 minutes, and only seemed to subside at night or in the mornings. We started keeping a log.

I took her to the walk-in clinic and they said they could only give her Tylenol, but sent us to the Urgi-center upstairs. We saw an ER Dr. there who told us it’s most likely a sinus infection, didn’t seem bacterial since there wasn’t colored mucus, and said to take Tylenol. He mentioned that if it got worse, that we should go to the ER where they could do an MRI.

I had a terrible sinus migraines at the end of December, beginning of January, and so we thought this was similar, especially since she was blowing her nose so often after each episode.

We waited a few days. It didn’t get any better and so we went to another hospital system and lied about how long she was feeling the pain, hoping they would prescribe some antibiotic. They don’t typically prescribe one until it’s been at least 10 days of a sinus infection. There can also be other side effects of taking them, but we were starting to get desperate for relief. This was torture. And it was getting close to when we needed to fly back home. They prescribed some and an anti-nausea medicine that dissolves under the tongue for pregnant women.

Needless to say the antibiotics did not help. We looked at options for extending our stay, fearful of the pain the altitude change might cause her sinuses, but the options were extremely expensive. We decided to fly home all together, and it was very hard on her. We made it almost the whole way to the house before I had to pull over for her to vomit, even after taking some anti-nausea medication.

At home, she was no better. Staying in bed, while I busied myself with work, taking care of the kids, the laundry, dishes, house, chickens, and her. Making sure she had Tylenol every 4 hours, ate at meal times, and that the kids weren’t too loud in the house while she rested. When I wasn’t working, I was getting the kids to help me clean up around the house, prepare meals, and we did just fine. I started finding comfort in caring for her, the kids, and the house as my worry for her built.

comments powered by Disqus